The Villages Of The Cotswolds
Windrush village takes its name from the river on which it stands and is as pretty a place as the name suggests. A small green,
lined with trees lead to the church of St Peter. The church is of Norman origins and is quite attractive with the south doorway
surrounded by beakheads, which are bird-like carvings of unknown origins. The interior is quite plain due to sustained drastic
restoration having taken place during the 19th century.
The old quarrying village has idyllic houses built from the local stone. Some of the houses are 17th century with at least one with a date stone of 1668. The war memorial lists the local men who gave their lives in the two great wars and one to the memory of Sgt Pilot Bruce Hancock R.A.F.V.R. who gave his life by ramming and destroying an enemy bomber whilst flying an unarmed training aircraft during the Battle of Britain in 1940.
South of the village is the Iron Age hill fort of Windrush Camp where only the banks can be seen and the 2nd World War airfield which was used for training purposes from 1940-1945, and, from where Sgt Pilot Hancock was stationed.
The village is about 4 miles west of Burford and is about ½ miles from the A40.
If you wish to visit the village, please park with respect to others. Parking by the church is advised.
- The Tolsey Museum, Burford
- Sherborne Park & Lodge Park, Sherborne
- Cotswold Wildlife Park, Burford
- The Burford Garden Company, Burford