Situated in the valley of the River Leach this wealthy wool town has a beautiful church dedicated to St Peter and St Paul as it's centrepiece. The church was built in the 1400's by the rich wool merchants of the mediaeval period although the tower from 1350 is still retained . Inside the church there are several excellent brasses depicting the wool traders who bequeathed the funds to build this cathedral like church.
The town was established in about 1194 by the Abbey of Gloucester and lies just off the Fosse Way and the trading route of the Salt Way, a route that the salt traders used to bring their valuable cargo from Droitwich to Lechlade for transportation along the River Thames.
The buildings around the small market place are mainly of the 15th and 16th centuries and the Cotswold Hall, although of a later date, is of some interest, in particular the clock erected on the building for the Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
On the outskirts of the town is the interesting House of Correction, built in 1789 and was used by Cotswold District Council for the Cotswold Heritage Centre. In 2002 the council policy makers decided to close the museum with immediate effect to save £100, 000 per year.