Dyrham Chippenham Gloucestershire SN14 8ER Tel: +44 (0)1608 674355
Dyrham Park House, is an imposing baroque styled country house mansion built in the late 17th to early 18th century for William Blathwayt on the site of
an earlier Tudor manor house which had belonged to the family of Blathwayt's wife, Mary Wynters. It was in 1686 that William Blathwayt married Mary.
Dyrham Park House is set in around 270 acres of ancient deer park complete with a fallow deer herd , and was designed by the French architect Hauduroy for William III's Secretary
at State and of War and his wife. Mary died some five years later and Blathwayt continued to develope the house using the designs of architect,
William Talman, building the Baroque facade of the east front.
Dyrham Park house was furnished with a hint of Dutch influence and still has many of its original Dutch fashions and contents which include textiles,
paintings and items of blue and white Delftware.
At the time the house was built formal gardens were laid out but by the late 18th century this type of design became
unfashionable and Humphrey Repton and Charles Harcourt Masters were charged with landscaping the park. The gardens of today
are a reflection of their formal splendour but the borders, lawns and water features are still worth seeing.
Visitors can see various rooms in the house including the kitchen, bake house, dairy and tenants hall.
The car park is located at the East Lodge, and a free bus takes visitors to and from the house. Facilities at the house include a
National Trust shop, courtyard tea-room which is licensed, baby-changing facilities and front-carrying baby slings and
hip-carrying infant seats for loan. Facilities for visitors with disabilities include adapted toilets in visitor
car park and main house, 3 wheelchairs available, ramped entrance to shop, tea rooms and an alternative entrance
to the house.
Admission by timed ticket to house may operate on Bank Holiday Sundays & Mondays. Open Bank Holiday Mondays and Good Friday 11:00-17:00.
Last admission 45 minutes before closing. Shop and tea-room open weekends until 18 December.