Accessibility |  Access Keys |  Site Map | 
Return To The Cotswold Gateway Home Page
 
 

Bishop's Palace

Mount House, Church Green, Witney, OX28 6AZF
Tel: +44 (0)1993 775915

Nearest Rail Station Long Hanborough and Oxford  Nearest International Airport  London Heathrow  Nearest Motorway  M40 Map

Accommodation

Holiday Cottages Holiday Cottages Hotels Hotels

The Bishop's Palace at Witney, Oxfordshire can be found near to St Mary’s church, in the centre of Witney on Church Green.

The historic building known as the Bishops Palace was built by the Bishop of Winchester in the 12th and 13th centuries and later became the Manor House. In 1757, the manor house was acquired by the Duke of Marlborough.

Excavations from 1984 through to 1992 uncovered a large tower from the early 12th century. Other finds included coins found in robber trenches which would indicate that some of the manor buildings were demolished during the English Civil War, the rest were destroyed during the 18th century. The archaeology remains which are visible are protected from the elements under a modern roof cover.

To help visitors there is an interpretation centre with a model of the former building in all its artistic glory and some remains of the building can be seen in the Witney and District Musem.

Wheelchair access to the site is available.

Bishop's Palace Opening Times 2006

Site only

All YearMonday to Friday10.00 am to 17.00pm

Site and Interpretation Centre

Easter to end of SeptemberSaturday and Sunday14.00 pm to 16.00pm or by appointment

Admission Charges

Day Ticket

Adult: £0.00Juniors: £0.00 Seniors: £0.00